History

The library was founded in 1878 and has always functioned as a hub of activity in the community. The original old stone buildinh was located next to Craftsbury Academy and served as both the public library and the school lilbrary. In 1940, it was taken down and a small clapboard library was built, which served the community until 2003. On January 21, 2003, the doors to a beautiful new library, located on the west side of the Common, were opened.

The library is open to the public 32 hours per week, and has a collection of over 17,000 volumes. As a community space, the library is available for meetings and programs.

The library houses books for all ages and interests, from board books for the tiniest tots to picture and emerging reader books for older children. You will also find best selling fiction to classics, a surprising collection of non-fiction, reference books and over 20 periodicals. A collection of Audio Books for both adult and juvenile are available, as well as a growing collection of educational and recreational DVDs.